Blog Categories +
4 Reasons You’re Still Dealing with Clutter & How to Get Past It
September 25, 2023
Everyone wants a clutter-free home — a haven where everything has its place and serenity prevails. Yet, despite best efforts, clutter can be a persisting issue for many. So, what’s holding you back? Here are four reasons you might still be dealing with clutter and actionable steps to overcome each one.
You’re Overwhelmed with Where to Start
- The Challenge: The sight of clutter can be intimidating, making it easy to delay the decluttering process because you simply don’t know where to start.
- The Solution: Start small. Start with a single drawer, one shelf, or a specific category (like shoes or books). By breaking down the task into manageable tasks, you’ll gain momentum and feel encouraged and motivated as you make progress.
You Have Emotional Attachments to Items
- The Challenge: Many times, our possessions are tied to memories, emotions, or past experiences, making them hard to let go of.
- The Solution: Remind yourself that it’s the memory, not the item, that’s valuable. For items that are truly special, keep a couple favorites and/or consider taking a photograph and creating a digital memory album. Pass the item(s) on, whether by selling, donating, or recycling, so that it might find new life and purpose elsewhere.
You’re Not Sure What to Keep and What to Toss
- The Challenge: You might be afraid of getting rid of something and later regretting it. This fear can cause you to hold onto items just in case you might need them someday.
- The Solution: Use the one-year rule. If you haven’t used or worn something in the last year, chances are you won’t miss it if it’s gone. For items you’re uncertain about, place them in a box with a date. If you haven’t reached for any of the contents within six months to a year, it’s probably safe to let them go.
Your Organization Systems Aren’t Effective
- The Challenge: You’ve tried organizing before, but the clutter keeps coming back. Perhaps the storage solutions or systems you’re using aren’t intuitive or effective.
- The Solution: Reassess your organizational methods. Make sure that every item in your home has a designated place. Invest in storage solutions that fit your space and lifestyle. Clear containers, labels, and modular storage can be game-changers. Implement routines, like Clean Mama’s Daily and Weekly Tasks, to consistently keep clutter at bay.
Conquering clutter is a journey, not a one-time event. By recognizing the challenges you face and actively seeking solutions, you’ll be on your way towards a more organized and harmonious living space. Remember, decluttering not only transforms your home but can also bring a newfound sense of clarity and peace to your everyday life.