September 7, 2014
8 Steps to Cleaning Your House in Under an Hour
Today I have a guest post that’s a fun take on cleaning your whole house in under an hour. Which of these tactics do you include in a frenzied speed cleaning? Any others you’d add?
If we don’t have time to do a thorough top-to-bottom job, maybe we can carve out an hour to dig ourselves out of the worst of it. So how about this: 8 simple steps for a quick, good-enough cleaning.
Those of you with high standards may want to look the other way.
1. CLEAR OFF ALL SURFACES: Scan the room and scoop up any objects you see on any chairs or sofas. Scan the room again and scoop up the stuff on the floor. Then clear off anything you see on your counters or tables. Put everything in a basket or grocery bag and schedule a time to find a place for it all, later, after your guests leave. Actually put it on the calendar.
2. STACK BOOKS AND MAGAZINES: If you have a lot of books and magazines with no place to go, arrange them all in a tall stack against the wall. Cool design-y effect that looks deliberate!
3. CONCEAL THE STAINS: Strategically drape throws over any stains on your sofas or chairs. If your dishwasher and your sink are both full, keep the dishes in your sink in a large stockpot until after your guests leave.
4. AIR OUT THE ROOMS: Open all the windows in your home to get cross breezes blowing through everything. If it’s warm enough, leave a few open. Fresh smells can trick people into thinking they’re in a clean environment.
5. SPRUCE DOORS, FRAMES, AND KNOBS: Grab a Magic Eraser and scan all your doors. Give any obvious hand prints a quick swipe.
6. BATHROOM BAMBOOZLE: Take your stained, hair-covered bath mat and toss it into the bathtub. Take all the toiletries out on counters and the sink and put them in a clean bowl. Put that in the tub as well. Close the shower curtains. Check the toilet just to make sure there’s nothing horrific you need to take care of.
7. CLOSET THE DOORS TO YOUR KIDS’ ROOMS: The other kids who visit them probably won’t tell the grown-ups what a mess they are.
8. ALTER YOUR GUESTS PERCEPTION: Still worried your home isn’t clean enough? Greet your guests at the door with a glass of wine. Have one yourself. And remember: People who truly love you aren’t scrutinizing your home for cleanliness — they’re there to enjoy your company.
What are your favorite quick-cleaning tricks?
More from The Stir:
- 12 Things in Your Freezer You Should Throw Out Now
- 5 Common Cleaning Mistakes to Avoid
- Are Your Cleaning Products Truly Green or Just Pretending?
- Pinterest vs. Reality: 18 Hilarious Bad Mom FAILS
Looking for more Cleaning Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama's Free Quick Clean Printable
You'll also get access to the entire free printable library!