May 2, 2016
DIY Homemade Cleaners : Nightly Sink Scrub
My favorite DIY recipe is also my favorite nightly ritual – the Nightly Sink Scrub. It’s a recipe I came up with a few years ago and it pretty much started my DIY cleaners obsession which also turned into my first book, The Organically Clean Home. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s so simple to whip up and it does such a great job at giving the sink a little scrub, you’ll love it! Did you know that the sink is pretty much the dirtiest spot in your whole home? Another reason to give it a nightly scrub!
Gather your simple ingredients:
- 2 cups baking soda
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- castile soap (or dish soap) (this is not added to the baking soda until it’s used – keep reading!)
- container with a lid or a shaker top (I like a mason jar, this one specifically :)) – I’ve previously used a shaker top but have switched to a lid – either way works!
- sink safe scrub brush – I use this one and keep it under my sink in a vintage mason jar. I can toss the head in the dishwasher to sanitize it as needed.
See how easy it is to mix up and use…
- put baking soda in your container
- add essential oils to the top of the baking soda
- stir and combine with a kitchen knife
- wet your sink
- sprinkle liberally in your sink
- add a squirt or two of dish or castile soap
- scrub with a sink-safe scrubber
- rinse thoroughly
I keep this jar and scrubber under the kitchen sink just for cleaning the sink – it’s convenient and easy to grab every night.
There you have it – a simple and effective DIY cleaning recipe to add to your repertoire!
More posts in this series – just click on the image to go to the post: