October 13, 2021
Dull Counters? Try this DIY Stone Cleaning Spray
If you have stone counters you know that they take a little more care to clean up any spills right away and they can get dull over time as well. You also have to be very careful to use only ingredients that are safe to use on them. Most countertop manufacturers and installers recommend just using dish soap and water, which I use regularly to clean my counters, but I do like a good spray cleaner. This recipe is a twist on the soap and water but I’ve added a little rubbing alcohol – the reason for this is three-fold:
- alcohol kills germs
- alcohol helps the water to dry a little more quickly
- alcohol is pH neutral – it has the same acidity of water.
You can’t use vinegar on stone counters because the vinegar has a pH and over time it will etch away at the finish of your stone. Give this recipe a try – you’ll love how quick it is to mix up and how easy it is to use. If you’re looking for a disinfecting recipe for stone, head to this post and use the soap-based recipe.
Don’t be afraid to use it other places too – I love it as an all-purpose cleaning spray!
GATHER YOUR INGREDIENTS AND TOOLS
- 2 tablespoons rubbing alcohol
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon – 1/4 tablespoon (experiment with how soapy you like your spray – I prefer 1/4 teaspoon) castile or dish soap (if you want your spray to smell like your dish soap, use that)
- measuring cup
- measuring spoon
- funnel – this just makes it easier to pour liquid ingredients into a spray bottle
- spray bottle + label
- bar mop towels – my personal preference are the Premium Bar Mop Towels, but I also like using a sponge or a Swedish dish cloth on the counters
- Combine ingredients, close spray bottle, shake, and CLEAN!
Have you seen the new DIY Cleaning Recipes Pocket Notebook? It’s darling and includes 31 recipes plus pages to keep your own DIYs. At only $8, it’s perfect for your DIY cleaning adventure and makes a great gift.
Looking for more DIY Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama's Free DIY Recipes Printable
You'll also get access to the entire free printable library!