Blog Categories +
This little hack is one that I have been doing for years because it’s an easy way to have a grill-ready meal ready to go and the protein gets more tender and flavorful in the freezer. Ready for this simple, healthy meal prep hack?
Sometimes a quick and simple tip that can make the mundane a little easier or make your life a little better makes a BIG difference. This is an ongoing series here on the blog where I share simple tips, finds, and suggestions to make life a little easier. I share these tips regularly on the blog and on Instagram– make sure you’re following along! You can see all the Everyday Tips here.
QUICK TIP: Want to make it a budget friendly meal? Stock up at your local grocery store when they have chicken, pork, or flank steak on sale.
HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED:
- protein – I usually do chicken breasts and/or boneless chicken thighs but you can also use flank steak, pork tenderloin, pork chops…any lean protein will work!
- marinade – I will either make an herb-y marinade with avocado oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper, and some fresh or dried herbs OR I purchase a couple bottles of store-bought marinade (look for ones without corn syrup or sugar and artificial ingredients or colors). I used a chimichurri (chicken breasts) and a pineapple teriyaki marinade (boneless chicken thighs).
- freezer bags or containers – I use glass storage containers and Stasher bags for storing just about every other type of food, but for this purpose I have found that zip top bags work best and this brand is a safer one-use plastic.
STEP BY STEP:
- Label the bag with a permanent marker and date the bag – I keep these in the freezer for 1-2 months.
- Divide your raw protein in zip top bags – I like to use a glass measuring cup to keep the bag standing upright. I figure 2 pounds for 5 people + leftovers.
- Pour marinade over the meat – make sure it covers everything, seal and flatten out, making sure the marinade covers the meat and the air is out of the bag.
- Lay flat and stack in the freezer.
- Thaw in the refrigerator the night before you are going to prepare them.
Let me know if you try this meal prep hack – it has saved us so much time in the kitchen and a great way to prepare a healthy dinner component.
If you go to this post from earlier this year, you can see six things I meal prep every week.