May 19, 2017
How to Clean Makeup Brushes
When was the last time that you washed your makeup brushes? This super simple task is easy to neglect but it’s a cleaning task that you can do in under five minutes. Add washing your brushes to your beauty routine at least once a month and your brushes will last longer and you’ll eliminate bacteria on your brushes which eventually will end up on your face.
Why wash makeup brushes?
- old makeup builds up on the bristles
- bacteria from the oils on your face build up on the brushes
- if you use use brushes in multiple products like different shades of eye shadow you are cross-contaminating your makeup and shades
What you’ll need:
- castile soap or mild shampoo or hand soap
- warm water from the sink for washing
- hand towel for air drying
Steps to take:
Wet the bristles.
Add a drop of soap to the palm of your hand.
Rub the brush in the palm of your hand, swirling a little bit – you’ll see the makeup in the palm of your hand.
Rinse until the water runs clear – repeat if necessary.
Blot away any extra water on a clean hand towel.
Let dry thoroughly before using – place outside in the sun to speed up the process.
QUICK TIP: Clean your brushes after you apply your makeup for the day because it may take a bit for the brushes to fully dry.
Looking for more DIY Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama's Free DIY Recipes Printable
You'll also get access to the entire free printable library!