Blog Categories +
Carpet cleaning and spring cleaning go hand in hand for me. Carpet cleaning companies recommend cleaning carpets twice a year and/or at least once a year. This is a great recommendation but it can be expensive and a hassle to move furniture and stay off the carpet for hours while it dries. I do recommend getting carpets professionally cleaned when necessary and do so every year or two in our own home but I love being able to clean individual rooms, hallways, and stairs as needed myself and especially in the spring.
In order to clean your own carpets, you’ll need a carpet cleaning machine. I recommend purchasing one so you have it on hand, but you can also rent them inexpensively at grocery and hardware stores. This is the one (affiliate link) that I wholeheartedly recommend and use in my home. I love that it has a low profile for cleaning under furniture and that it has two cleaning modes – Deep Clean Mode and Express Clean Mode for quick clean-ups. It also maneuvers like a vacuum cleaner, not a bulky carpet cleaner.
How to Clean Your Own Carpets
- Move any furniture that you can.
- Make sure small items are off the floors.
- Do a quick vacuum of the room.
- Fill up the machine with warm water and the carpet cleaner solution that your machine recommends.
- Spot treat any stains.
- Start at the farthest corner in the room.
- Follow the directions for your machine on how to operate it.
- Slowly move the carpet cleaner parallel to the walls so you get those carpet lines.
- Go over the carpet with the machine to lift up any additional moisture.
- Empty the tank (yuck!), rinse thoroughly, and allow to dry completely before putting the machine back together.
- Allow to dry thoroughly.
- Vacuum the carpet to pick up any lint or debris that the carpet cleaner unearthed.
- Enjoy your clean carpet!
Bissell sent me the ProHeat 2X Revolution to try out. I have been using an older model of the Bissell ProHeat for over 5 years and was excited to try out the new features and improved drying time with the new model. Let me tell you, it’s amazing and a perfect tool to add to your cleaning repertoire!
Most carpet cleaners require that you use their brand of cleaning solution to keep the warranty in tact. I always recommend that BUT if you are looking for a great natural alternative that works amazingly well, try BioKleen’s Carpet & Rug Shampoo.
Tell me – do you clean your own carpets?
More posts in this series – just click on the image to go to the post: