June 30, 2014
How to Organize Your Purse (So It Stays that Way)
Organizing your purse will only take a couple minutes, but it’ll save you time in the long run because you’ll know exactly where everything is. Traveling? If you’re a passenger you can do this while you’re riding in the car. Waiting to pick kids up? That’s a perfect time to do a little purse organization! Just grab a small bag to toss any garbage in before you start and you’ll be all set.
- Start by emptying your purse. If your purse needs to be wiped down or cleaned, take a couple minutes and do that before moving on to the organizing.
- Throw anything away that shouldn’t be in there anyway – gum wrappers, old receipts, etc.
- Relocate anything that should be stored elsewhere.
- Put all the items that you want to keep on a surface and group like items together. I keep a pretty simplified purse – just a makeup bag, wallet, and anything that I might need for the kids wherever we’re going. I keep my planner at home unless I need it for wherever I’m headed.
- If you find that you have a lot of receipts in your purse you might want to add a small plastic envelope to put them in until you can sort them out.
- Once you have all your must-have items back in your purse designate a pocket or two for your keys and cell phone. I find it super helpful to always put my cell phone and keys in the same pockets in my purse so I’m not digging around trying to find them.
- How to keep it this way? Keep LESS in your purse and empty weekly or daily so you are in the habit of keeping it this way.
Lindsay Eckhart Says
Thanks for the tips! It’s really a great help as I’m not really good in organizing, especially my purse. Actually, my friend suggested your blog as I’m desperately looking for tips to organize my things. As you can see, I’m a little unorganized. Thanks !
I am just curious what brand that pretty blue purse is?
Becky SaysPost author
It’s Coach – I love it 🙂
Love this blog, and this post is great. I switch out purses constantly depending on my outfit. Nothing wins my heart in a store like a purse. That Coach purse is beautiful btw.
I do the same thing as you…keep it simple. I have a small makeup bag for powder, compact mirror, lipstick and gloss and another one for hand lotion, sanitizer, eyeglass cleaner and wipes and kleenex packages. This way, when I go to change purses…I can just move the small bags into the purse for that day and then add in any larger items like sunglasses in their case, cell phone, keys, etc….
There is another advantage to changing purses out…I dont end up with things that end up lost and forgotten and my purses always stay clean concerning the inner lining.
Thanks so much for this and all your posts. You keep me on the ball. Sometimes I wish I could just move you in with me though and let you handle it all for me! lol Seriously though, you break it down so its not so overwhelming and so much more “doable”. Thanks Becky!
I have that purse and I put this in it to help out. http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/lime-green-mini-craft-tote-857805/ you can find it at any craft store and sometimes Wal-Mart. It adds organization and extra pockets and is much cheaper than purse organizers.
Jill – do you remember details of the name or where you got your purse? I need this bag. 🙂
Becky SaysPost author
It’s from ebay – it’s a coach purse 🙂
I use zippered, plastic pouches from the dollar store–one for receipts (red) and one for coupons (black). They are meant to be pencil pouches, but they work wonderfully in your purse. (I actually keep them in my canvas bag that I tote to work everyday with my lunch and other various and sundry things! 🙂
Nancy Bowles Says
That purse is so pretty! Do you know what style it is? Looked online but can’t seem to find. Thanks:)
Becky SaysPost author
I can’t remember – sorry!
I put my keys on a carabiner so I can easily clip them onto my purse & am not constantly digging for them!
I need lots getting organised! 🙂
I also found that a smaller purse helps me really think about what essentials I need to put in my purse. Helps minimize back pain as well 🙂
Jessica Stidham Says
I’m subscribed to Ipsy which is a great way to try out new beauty products without having to buy a full size item for the full size price! Just $10 a month! I use the neat little zipper pouches that everything comes in from Ipsy (they are all really cute!) And use one for makeup, one for meds, and one for my essential oils! Makes it super easy to switch to any purse and I don’t have random items just floating around!
Paula Jolly Says
Thanks for all your wonderful posts – I enjoy reading them!
And… I love your purse!!
I find that a couple small makeup bags work well for me I have several purses with a zipper section dividing the inside,so besides one for my makeup I use one to hold IDs etc, a pillbox and a compact style travel manicure set. Most purse organizers don’t work well for me in divided purses. Everyone is giving me great ideas! So glad I found this blog!!
Great tips. But I really want to find that bag! ????????
The model is Avery . Beautiful , isn’t it ? I found it in pearl…. love hers in the light aqua though…
Sharon Bowers Says
Sandra, google Coach Turquoise Duffel bag.