October 21, 2019
How to Wash Makeup Brushes
When was the last time that you washed your makeup brushes? It’s an often overlooked task, but this super simple task can be done in under 5 minutes. Add washing your brushes to your beauty routine at least once a month (some say weekly) and your brushes will last longer and you’ll eliminate bacteria on your brushes that eventually ends up on your face.
WHY WASH MAKEUP BRUSHES?
- old makeup builds up on the bristles
- bacteria from the oils on your face build up on the brushes
- if you use use brushes in multiple products like different shades of eye shadow you are cross-contaminating your makeup and shades
WHAT YOU’LL NEED:
- Castile Soap (my preference), mild shampoo or hand soap
- optional, but VERY effective – silicone makeup brush mat – here’s the one I have and here are some on Amazon that are 4 stars and up
- warm water from the sink for washing
- hand towel for air drying
STEPS TO TAKE:
Wet the bristles.
Add a drop of soap to the silicone mat or the palm of your hand.
Rub the brush on the silicone mat or in the palm of your hand, swirling a little bit – you’ll see the makeup leave the brush. Keep swirling and rinsing until you no longer see makeup in the brush.
Rinse until the water runs clear – repeat if necessary.
Blot away any extra water on a clean hand towel.
Let dry thoroughly before using – place outside in the sun to speed up the process.
QUICK TIP: Clean your brushes after you apply your makeup because it may take a bit for the brushes to fully dry.
Looking for more Cleaning Inspiration?
Get Access to Clean Mama's Free Quick Clean Printable
You'll also get access to the entire free printable library!