February 4, 2019
Nightly Sink Scrub
I’ve been sharing my Nightly Sink Scrub recipe with blog readers for years and while it’s super simple to make, it really works! This simple recipe paired with cleaning the kitchen at night, just might be the thing that gets you into a cleaning routine.
Did you know that the Clean Mama Cleaning Routine has a monthly focus? February is THE KITCHEN. I have tools for completing the tasks of the monthly focus in the subscription to Homekeeping Society and in the full-size Homekeeping Planner (currently sold-out) if you’re interested.
If you aren’t familiar with my Nightly Sink Scrub and the routine that goes along with it, I find that this simple task is the key to a clean kitchen. If you’re frustrated with the state of your home and feel overwhelmed with all that there is to do, START WITH YOUR KITCHEN SINK. You’ll also be building a little habit that will follow you into the next day – when you wake up to a clean kitchen sink, your tomorrow self will thank you. You can find the recipe and more details throughout this post.
I made a quick video to demonstrate the routine:
Nightly Sink Scrub
My favorite DIY recipe is also my favorite nightly ritual – the Nightly Sink Scrub. If you are new here and haven’t seen this part of my daily routine, here’s how I mix it up. This little recipe will change your evening kitchen routine for the better. The best thing? It works on ANY sink type! Porcelain, stainless steel, acrylic, copper, stone, solid surface – scrub away!
The premise is that every night we reset the kitchen, put the dishes in the dishwasher, wipe up the counters and finally sprinkle a little sink scrub in the sink, add a squirt or two of dish soap or castile soap, and give the sink a good scrub and rinse.
Dry with a towel if you’d like or just let it air dry. Put out a clean hand towel and walk away from the kitchen knowing it’s reset for the next day.
It’s a recipe I came up with years ago and it pretty much started my DIY cleaners obsession. The great thing about this recipe is that it’s so simple to whip up and it does such a great job at giving the sink a little scrub, you’ll love it! Did you know that the sink is pretty much the dirtiest spot in your whole home? Another reason to give it a nightly scrub!
Gather your simple ingredients:
- 2 cups baking soda
- 10 drops lemon essential oil
- 10 drops clove essential oil
- castile soap (or dish soap) (this is not added to the baking soda until it’s used – keep reading!)
- container with a lid or a shaker top (I like a mason jar, this one specifically) – I’ve previously used a shaker top but have switched to a lid – either way works!
- sink safe scrub brush – I use this one and keep it under my sink in a vintage mason jar. I can toss the head in the dishwasher to sanitize it as needed.
See how easy it is to mix up and use…
- put baking soda in your container (I use this mason jar and the Nightly Sink Scrub label from this set)
- add essential oils to the top of the baking soda
- stir and combine with a kitchen knife
- wet your sink
- sprinkle liberally in your sink
- add a squirt or two of dish or castile soap (here are my favorites)
- scrub with a sink-safe scrubber (I use this one)
- rinse thoroughly
There you have it – a simple and effective DIY cleaning recipe to add to your repertoire!