November 2, 2022
Not Motivated to Clean? Try these ideas to help you get started!
I hear it all the time – I’m just not motivated to clean or I’m too tired at the end of the day to clean. Do you feel like this too? Sometimes things just feel hard and exhausting and cleaning is the last, last, last thing you want to do. But…people live in our homes, clothes need to be washed, there are germs to be removed, and it’s just easier to go about all the other things when we can find our socks and not trip on stuff.
So what’s the secret? How can you get motivated to clean?
I don’t wake up wanting to clean but I enjoy a clean house and feel so much better when things are tidy in our home. When I don’t want to clean, I try to reframe my motivation and think about how much better I’ll feel when the kitchen is clean or the laundry is folded. I’ll also think about how much harder it will be if I put it off another day. Cleaning a little bit every day makes it easier AND it keeps cleaning from being overwhelming. New here? Head to the Start Here Page.
In preparation for this post I asked my followers on Instagram how motivated they are to clean – check out these results. If you aren’t motivated, you’re not alone!
- Think of your tomorrow or later today self. How will cleaning the kitchen, getting caught up on laundry, etc. make you feel?
- Choose cleaning supplies that you enjoy using. Color coordinate or just choose supplies you like the look of – I find that having cute supplies make cleaning more fun.
- Don’t put it off – get it over with and get on with your life.
- Get others involved – delegate and ask for help!
- Watch other people clean – follow me on Instagram – I share tips and tricks daily.
- Start in the worst area first and keep going with that momentum.
- Start with something easy and build momentum on that little win.
- Listen to a podcast, audiobook, or your favorite music – listening can provide a nice distraction.
- Call someone and chat while you’re cleaning. Cleaning with friends is awesome and probably my favorite way to clean. Chances are you’ll enjoy the conversation more than you realize that you’re cleaning.
- Make it a game – set a timer and race yourself.
- Invite someone over – you’ll probably get more done in a shorter period of time as you hurry to finish up a task or two.
- Reward yourself with something that motivates you when you accomplish your goal. Me? A couple chocolate chips or an episode of my current Netflix show usually do the trick.
One of the best parts of the Clean Mama Routine is that you don’t need to think about what needs to be cleaned and when it needs to be cleaned. Just do the Daily and Weekly Tasks and you’ll find that your home is clean most of the time and it takes LESS time than any other cleaning routine!
Tell us your ideas in the comments – this is what works for me, I am confident that there are lots of other great ideas to help us get motivated!