Here’s a great Winner Dinner of the crockpot variety from my sister – and it’s healthy to boot! I love it when I can sneak in sweet potatoes and tomatoes without anyone noticing – yum!
The great thing about this recipe is that it’s easy to adapt to your family’s personal taste and chili-style. The recipe as written will make a mild, child-friendly chili with not too much heat. You can add heat and spice as desired by adding more chili powder, chopped hot peppers or ground red pepper to taste.
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 (28-ounce) cans diced fire roasted tomatoes (note: you can also use chopped fresh tomatoes for half of the fire-roasted, if desired)
- 1 medium sweet potato, peeled and shredded
- 1 (15-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup instant tapioca (recommended: Minute tapioca)
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground cloves
- Optional: 1/2 to 3/4 cup lager-style beer
- Toppings: Sour cream, shredded Cheddar or Jack cheese, chopped scallions or whatever your family desires
Heat one tablespon olive oil over medium heat, add ground turkey and saute thoroughly until cooked through. Drain in colander and set aside. Meanwhile, heat one tablespoon oil over medium heat and saute onion over medium heat until softened, 5-7 minutes.
Put the turkey and onions in the slow cooker and add all the rest of the ingredients, except the beer. Stir everything together, cover, and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours. If you prefer a thicker consistency to your chili, take the cover off for the remaining hour or so to allow some of the liquid to evaporate.
If desired, stir in the beer and allow to simmer for the last hour or so if using, and season with more salt and pepper, to taste. Divide the chili among bowls. Serve with the toppings of your choice.