Blog Categories +
The Clutter Challenge – WEEK 2 – The Kitchen
January 7, 2019
Welcome to week 2 of THE CLUTTER CHALLENGE! I am so excited for you to join me!
How did the first week go for you? I got stuck in my office decluttering (not a bad thing) most of the day Saturday and finally finished up taking down the Christmas decorations yesterday. I spent the first part of the week decluttering with my kids a little bit every day. This timing is perfect, they head back to school today after break with decluttered closets, toys, and clothes. I have a couple general decluttering items that I put at the bottom of the list for week 5 or if I have a little time before the end of the month.
You’ll see that I’ve set the challenge up with a weekly checklist. Each week, we’ll work through different areas of your home and follow the checklist. You’ll notice that the checklist is loose so you can tackle all the week’s tasks on one day or spread them out over the week. And guess what – because I know neither of us will finish everything up, the last week is for catching up on anything uncompleted.
You’ll find that there’s a specific order in the free printable list for the month. It’s important that you follow this order for decluttering your home, but of course complete it in a way that makes sense for your schedule.
Some recommendations: do one task a day, set a timer for 10-15 minutes, or 2-3 tasks a day until completed. This order matters because it will take you through the house in a logical, sequential, and efficient way.
The goal for this week is to work on the Kitchen Checklist and do one or two of these things every day this week.
- clear + clean kitchen counters
- refrigerator – clean it out, wipe it down (here’s a post on how to clean all your kitchen appliances in under an hour) and here’s one just for your refrigerator and freezer.
- freezer – clean it out, wipe it down
- kitchen cabinets – tackle all of them or just one or two
- kitchen drawers – tackle all of them or just one or two
- pantry or food storage area – empty, get rid of expired food, and return items
- kitchen tools + small appliances – donate extras, doubles, and unused small appliances
- under the kitchen sink – this link shows my whole kitchen sink set up – clean it out and keep the necessities
- kitchen towels – repurpose anything worn or with holes and keep the best
Every Monday for the month of January, I’ll post some tips for the week ahead right here on the blog (make sure you’re subscribing below). Read on for more, grab your checklist, and follow along! I’ll be posting daily as much as I can on Instagram Stories my personal progress with the hope that it inspires and helps you along the way too!
Follow and tag me on Instagram @cleanmama as you post your progress! I’m rooting for you and completing the challenge right along with you.
Psst! The Whole Home Declutter is the MONTHLY FOCUS in my Homekeeping Society subscription. Every month I focus on one room or area for the entire month – the subscription provides extra support and details to help you get and keep your home clean and organized. Check it out here.
JUST GETTING STARTED? HERE’S WHAT YOU NEED TO DO:
- Download the FREE printable Clutter Challenge Checklist (it’s down in the middle of the free printables page – I’m working on getting it to the top)
- Follow me on Instagram – I’ll be posting daily in my stories with what I’m working on every day.
- Follow along on Facebook
- Need more? Grab my Clutter Handbook!
- Looking for a fresh approach to cleaning? Check out my best-selling book, SIMPLY CLEAN.
See you back here each Monday for each week’s tasks in THE CLUTTER CHALLENGE!